Saturday, December 31, 2016

Mormon Tabernacle Choir Member Quits Rather Than Perform for Trump: 'I Could Never Look Myself in the Mirror Again with Self Respect'

After running an 18-month presidential campaign based on overt racism and misogyny, Donald Trump has had difficulty getting famous people to publicly attach their names to his by performing at his inauguration ball. Previous inaugurations for incoming presidents have included long lists of high-profile entertainers, but Trump’s inauguration will feature only a short list of less-than in-demand acts, some of whom have publicly complained about being coerced to appear.
Now, there’s yet more bad news for the great dictator: A member of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, which is slated to appear at Trump’s inauguration, has resigned in protest. In a perfectly worded letter of resignation posted on Facebook, the singer writes that if she were to participate in the inauguration performance, she “could never look myself in the mirror again with self respect.”
Jan Chamberlin’s lengthy message explains how she wrestled with the idea of appearing at Trump’s event, finally arriving at the decision to step down from the choir instead. “For me, this is a HUGELY moral issue,” she states in the post.
“Since the 'announcement,' I have spent several sleepless nights and days in turmoil and agony,” Chamberlin writes. “I have reflected carefully on both sides of the issue, prayed a lot, talked with family and friends, and searched my soul...I’ve tried to tell myself that it will be alright and that I can continue in good conscience before God and man. But it’s no use. I simply cannot continue with the recent turn of events.” Read full post here 

No comments: