Thursday, July 30, 2015

I was very disappointed to learn that Rep. John Katko voted away my rights to properly know what I am eating.

To the Editor: 

I was very disappointed to learn that Rep. John Katko voted away my rights to properly know what I am eating. 

On July 23, he voted for The Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act of 2015 that restricts state and local governments from controlling the use and labeling of genetically modified foods. In other words, your local community and state have no say on this matter. 

Because this act leaves consumers in the dark, opponents like myself refer to it as the Dark Act. 

Agribusiness and the pesticide industry are quick to point out that there are no scientific studies linking the consumption of genetically modified food with any illness. 

Undoubtedly, these special interests were keen to have the Dark Act pass because the vast majority of people won't buy GMO-labeled food. In fact, 93 percent of us are for the labeling of GMO foods, according to an ABC poll. 

Mr. Katko's office says that he supported the Dark Act because it would save consumers money. Really? At what cost, Mr. Katko? I would like to know how many pennies you saved for taking away my rights and keeping me in the dark about what I am eating.

Madis Senner

Syracuse, 

No comments: