Thursday, January 29, 2015

Assembly Majority Leader Joe Morelle is letting his colleagues he’s interested in replacing Sheldon Silver as speaker on a long-term basis, the Rochester-area Democrat said on Capital Tonight.

In an interview on Wednesday night, Morelle acknowledged that being a white male from upstate New York will make his bid potentially more difficult as speaker candidates include a woman, Cathy Nolan of Queens, and potentially the first black speaker, Carl Heastie of the Bronx.

“I get that it’s been 40 years this has happened,” Morelle said, referring to the last upstate speaker. “I probably have a higher burden, I probably have to certainly demonstrate more than any other candidate from the city that I’m prepared to serve and earn their vote, but I’m prepared to do that.”

No comments: