Don't expect to hear more about an Obamacare surcharge from Denny's franchisee John Metz.
Denny's chief executive John Miller privately reached out to Metz to
express his "disappointment" with the Florida franchisee's controversial
statements about Obamacare, which sparked a wave of backlash for the
national restaurant chain over the past few days. Metz released a
statement Monday night expressing "regret" over his statements.
"We recognize his right to speak on issues, but registered our
disappointment that his comments have been interpreted as the company’s
position," Miller said in an email to The Huffington Post.
Miller is rushing to put out the fire sparked by Metz's controversial proposal
to charge restaurant customers a 5 percent Obamacare fee. "Customers
have two choices: They can either pay it and tip 15 or 20 percent, or if
they really feel so inclined, they can reduce the amount of tip they
give to the server," Metz told HuffPost in an interview last week. POST