Sunday, May 29, 2016
Friday, May 27, 2016
Representative Jerrold Nadler of New York, a Democrat whose district includes Lower Manhattan, has written a scathing open letter denouncing Donald J. Trump for receiving grant money intended for small-business owners after the Sept. 11 attacks.
Mr. Nadler’s broadside against Mr. Trump is the latest salvo in efforts by Democrats to illustrate his use of various loopholes over the years to help his businesses.
Mr. Nadler described those words by Mr. Trump as “exploitation” of the city’s darkest day.
“When do you plan on returning the taxpayer money that was designated to ease the suffering of our city’s small-business owners?” Mr. Nadler wrote in the letter, a copy of which his office provided to The New York Times.
“It’s been reported that on your grant application, you claimed 40 Wall Street L.L.C. — which employed 28 people and had $26.8 million in annual revenues at the time — as a ‘small business,’” Mr. Nadler wrote. “Despite the federal definition of a small business as having less than $6 million in revenue, you accepted a $150,000 payout.”
He added, “In grabbing that money with both fists, you took it out of the pockets of small-business owners in New York who were truly hurting, and prevented them from taking full advantage of the relief so generously offered by their fellow citizens.”
Mr. Nadler pointed out that Mr. Trump had later been quoted in a television interview saying none of his properties were harmed in the attacks. Mr. Nadler also made a demand: “Return the funds you received or donate them to a charitable organization dedicated to providing legitimate support for the victims of 9/11.”
Mr. Trump recently made his first trip and first donation to the National September 11 Memorial and Museum, at the site of the devastation. He has not taken a position on the proposed extension of a bill providing health benefits to recovery workers who became ill at the World Trade Center site during the months of cleanup.
In response to Mr. Nadler, Mr. Trump said, “The company received this small amount of money after qualifying, given the limited number of employees working at the property,” he said, adding, “For many months, I allowed people to stay in the building, use the building and store things in the building.”
“I was happy to do it and to this day I am still being thanked for the many people I helped. The value of what I did was far greater than the money talked about,” he said.
Thursday, May 26, 2016
If you followed politics in the 1990s, you might remember the trail of insane conspiracy theories that arose after Deputy White House Counsel Vince Foster took his own life in 1993. Although there was absolutely nothing to suggest that there was any foul play involved in Foster’s death, Donald Trump nonetheless claimed this week that there was supposedly something “fishy” about his suicide.
Although many pundits have thoroughly debunked this conspiracy theory, no one has done so more powerfully than Foster’s own sister, who has written a blistering op-ed for The Washington Post that shames Trump for using her brother’s death for political gain.
“It is beyond contempt that a politician would use a family tragedy to further his candidacy, but such is the character of Donald Trump displayed in his recent comments to The Washington Post,” writes Sheila Foster Anthony. “In this interview, Trump cynically, crassly and recklessly insinuated that my brother, Vincent W. Foster Jr., may have been murdered because ‘he had intimate knowledge of what was going on’ and that Hillary Clinton may have somehow played a role in Vince’s death. How wrong. How irresponsible. How cruel.”
It certainly is, although it’s sadly not surprising given how he’s run his presidential campaign so far.
Anthony goes on to note that “five investigations, including by independent counsels Robert B. Fiske Jr. and Kenneth Starr, concluded that Vince suffered from severe depression that caused him to be unable to sleep, unable to work, unable to think straight, and finally to take his own life.” She also recounts her own personal history of seeing her brother struggle with his personal demons and of the intense demands of his job.
The whole piece is worth reading and can be found here.
Wednesday, May 25, 2016
Tuesday, May 24, 2016
President Donald J. Trump?
In this feverish year, the most recent symptom of distemper is media blather that — based on polling nearly 6 months out — America is on the cusp of electing Donald Trump. Before this conjures the megalomaniacal horror of Trump’s inaugural address, let me offer a consoling reality — that political fun house mirror known as the Electoral College.
We may not love it but, like shingles and pneumonia, this particular college will forever be with us. And so, a spoiler alert. At the end of this piece, I’m revealing who won the presidency in November, right down to the last electoral vote. Faced with a national nervous collapse, it seems unkind to wait.
I’m not alone in trying to be helpful. One day after the Indiana primary, the New York Times predicted the electoral vote count for Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. A day earlier, I went through a similar exercise, and got an identical count.
Full story at http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/9848032
Monday, May 23, 2016
Gov. Cuomo, hobbled by US Attorney Preet Bharara’s probe of longtime political operative Joseph Percoco, will take personal control of the state Democratic Party on Monday — even as he names Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown as its new “figurehead” chairman, sources told The Post.
Brown’s selection — to be rubber-stamped at a meeting of the state Democratic Committee — is worrying many city and suburban Democrats, who say the Buffalo mayor, unlike Percoco, won’t have direct access to the governor when important decisions have to be made.
“Joe was also Andrew’s eyes and ears, letting him know how party people were feeling, but Byron’s a six-hour drive from [Albany] and he can’t do that,’’ a senior Democrat said.
A second prominent Democrat called Percoco “the ‘go to’ person,’’ and asked, “Who will we go to now?”
Cuomo is also expected to name former New York City Council speaker Christine Quinn as the state party’s No. 2 official, but her selection was described by party insiders as more a rebuke to Mayor de Blasio, the governor’s nemesis, and not an effort to find a replacement for Percoco.
Brown was described by a well-known Democratic official as “always a gentleman and never temperamental,’’ but also as someone out for personal or political gain.
“He’s the most transactional person I ever met in politics,’’ said the source.
Party activists said Brown’s selection was meant in part as a gesture to economically distressed Buffalo, where many leaders fear that Bharara’s investigation has put the governor’s Buffalo Billion project in danger.
“Cuomo’s whole upstate political strategy is built around helping Buffalo in one way or another, and what’s going on with Bharara looking at the Buffalo Billion is obviously of concern to him,’’ said a source close to the governor.
Percoco — Cuomo’s former top aide and close friend and, since December, senior vice president at Madison Square Garden — and Cuomo family associate Todd Howe are the subject of an explosive investigation by Bharara over the fees they received helping clients with business before the state.
Bharara served Cuomo’s office with a subpoena late last month seeking records related to Percoco, Howe and 24 other individuals and companies involved in a massive set of state contracts, including the Buffalo Billion project.
The subpoena rocked the Cuomo administration, where what some call a fearful “lockdown’’ is in effect, and has left many close to the governor convinced that criminal indictments are forthcoming.
“Preet Bharara’s subpoena is a turning point for the Cuomo administration,’’ said a source with firsthand knowledge of the situation.
“The administration isn’t what it was and, depending what Bharara comes up with, it may never be the same.’’
Friday, May 20, 2016
Top 0.1% would be big winner under Donald Trump's tax plan, Wisconsin Hillary Clinton supporter says
Wednesday, May 18, 2016
Monday, May 16, 2016
Sunday, May 15, 2016
Saturday, May 14, 2016
The duo pledged to team up to prevent the presumptive Republican presidential nominee from winning the race for the White House this fall.
“Bill, the question you asked, what are we going to do between now and November? You and I are going to take him down. You and I,” said Moore.
“No seriously, this is the end of Donald Trump. He is not going to the White House. That is not happening,” he added.
Watch Friday night’s full clip above.
Editor’s note: Donald Trump regularly incites political violence and is a serial liar, rampant xenophobe, racist, misogynist